GREENDALE FORUM by GreendaleLife.com

Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Area's Most Expensive Custard Scoop is Right Here
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 pm 

Here's the definitive by the scoop custard cost comparison from OnMilwaukee.com:

You can get a little over two and a half scoops at Leon's for the price of one at Ferch's.

Ferch's Malt Shoppe and Grill: $3.17
Wholly Cow: $2.50
Kehr's at the Milwaukee Public Market: $2.27 ($2.41 with tax)
Gilles: $2.10 ($2.23 with tax)
Kitt's: $2.11 with tax
Robert's Appleton Avenue: $2.11
Omega: $1.99 ($2.11 with tax); both locations
Robert's Germantown: $2.10
Kopps: $1.98 ($2.10 with tax) at all three locations
Murf's Waukesha: $2.10
Bubba's: $2.09
Murf's Brookfield: $1.99 ($2.09 with tax)
Georgie Porgies: $1.89 ($2.01 with tax) (also have new location in Racine)
Golden Gyros: $1.95
Bella's Fat Cat $1.79
Oscars: $1.67; both locations
Leon's: $1.25

Post subject: Re: Area's Most Expensive Custard Scoop is Right Here
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:09 am 

Apples to Apples, missy.

Leon's sells a single flavor per day. Ferch's has dozens of flavors, and hand-mixes them to order. They also have a more varied menu, and their meals are really top-notch in flavor, quality, and portion size.

Not so long ago, everyone was moaning about how ratty the former owners had let the malt shop get. Now it's nice again, and it offers employment to our high-school aged kids, and the food is much nicer.

Coincidence? I think not!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Very Active User
Very Active User

bluemoon wrote:
Apples to Apples, missy.

Leon's sells a single flavor per day. Ferch's has dozens of flavors, and hand-mixes them to order. They also have a more varied menu, and their meals are really top-notch in flavor, quality, and portion size.

Um, sort of. Face it, everyone has the core flavors of vanilla and chocolate. I can see more for the marble top flavors (which I believe they price higher) but the vanilla and chocolate shouldn't be that much more. :icescream:

Part of the pricing is rent. Places like Leon's and Kopp's have more than paid off their property. Ten years ago when the Village Center was renewed and people were coming by the busloads, it was worth it. Now, well, we have two empty stores, buses are fewer, and frankly Roy hasn't put a whole lot into it aside from the paint job a couple of years ago. Gotta love the stop sign that has faded to white on the exit on to Northway by the visitor's center.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:04 pm 
Active User
Active User

NBjoe wrote:
Now, well, we have two empty stores, buses are fewer, and frankly Roy hasn't put a whole lot into it aside from the paint job a couple of years ago. Gotta love the stop sign that has faded to white on the exit on to Northway by the visitor's center.

Nice, Joe. Half-empty again.

Does Roy still own the entire Village Center? Wasn't bought when Reader's Digest bought the Publishing arm of the business? I guess without the publishing business to offer free advertising, and the editorial prerogative to talk up the village at every turn, is it any wonder that the bus traffic to the village center has fallen off?

We really need to embrace the fact that times change. A lot of the stores in the village right now are "luxury" stores. I mean: how many angels or birdhouses does a body need? And you can thank the Wal-Mart mentality for the fact that many residents will drive to Hwy 100 & Layton to buy practical things that could be purchased at a somewhat higher cost in the other shops in the village. I wonder how the National Bakery is doing? I try to shop there, but it's hard to see how much difference a loaf a week is going to make.... I am pretty sure that, even if we could entice a grocery or hardware store to return to the village center, I bet they wouldn't be able to make a go of it, because people think they are saving $$ when they drive to Menards or Pick & Save.

That being said, would the village maybe be better off to give up on trying to get shops in the village center, and allow at least a portion of the area to be converted to housing? At least it wouldn't be vacant....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 pm 
Very Active User
Very Active User

firefly wrote:
Nice, Joe. Half-empty again.

Does Roy still own the entire Village Center? Wasn't bought when Reader's Digest bought the Publishing arm of the business? I guess without the publishing business to offer free advertising, and the editorial prerogative to talk up the village at every turn, is it any wonder that the bus traffic to the village center has fallen off?

Yes he does. If it is Grandhaven, it is Roy. Notice any changes in the Visitor's Center the past few months? Word is he now runs the upstairs while Reader's Digest runs the store in the basement. If you were more observant while buzzing around you would notice that while the sign has been changed for a while at Grange and 60th to Reader's Digest, while the sign on the Visitor's Center is still Reiman Publications. Kind of interesting. And face it, after getting what, $700 million in his sale to Reader's Digest I'm sure he could budget some money for better promotion of the Village Center.

So, how am I half-empty?

firefly wrote:
We really need to embrace the fact that times change. A lot of the stores in the village right now are "luxury" stores. I mean: how many angels or birdhouses does a body need? And you can thank the Wal-Mart mentality for the fact that many residents will drive to Hwy 100 & Layton to buy practical things that could be purchased at a somewhat higher cost in the other shops in the village.

I avoid Walmart at just about all cost. When I can't find something at Kmart, Target or Walgreens only then will I try Wallyworld.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 am 

firefly wrote:

We really need to embrace the fact that times change. A lot of the stores in the village right now are "luxury" stores. I mean: how many angels or birdhouses does a body need? And you can thank the Wal-Mart mentality for the fact that many residents will drive to Hwy 100 & Layton to buy practical things that could be purchased at a somewhat higher cost in the other shops in the village. I wonder how the National Bakery is doing? I try to shop there, but it's hard to see how much difference a loaf a week is going to make.... I am pretty sure that, even if we could entice a grocery or hardware store to return to the village center, I bet they wouldn't be able to make a go of it, because people think they are saving $$ when they drive to Menards or Pick & Save.

That being said, would the village maybe be better off to give up on trying to get shops in the village center, and allow at least a portion of the area to be converted to housing? At least it wouldn't be vacant....

I would think that bus traffic has decreased because it's mostly elderly visitors from Iowa who don't need or can't afford a lot of the items for sale in the village, including a scoop of custard. They hit the Reiman outlet center to buy cheap cookbooks and John Deere stuff.

Times change indeed, but I don't know what practical things can be bought in the village other than the bakery or coffee shop. Even those are an over indulgence in price (or in National Bakery's case, price and slooooooooowww service.)

People have to travel out of town for groceries, liquor, hardware, because that's the way the village/Grandhaven wants it apparently. And really no grocery or hardware store could survive down in the village. So the gift shops stay. (You can't put housing in with the shops. It's a designated historical area.)

Would you shop at a WalMart on 76th street?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 am 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Granger wrote:
People have to travel out of town for groceries, liquor, hardware, because that's the way the village/Grandhaven wants it apparently. And really no grocery or hardware store could survive down in the village. So the gift shops stay. (You can't put housing in with the shops. It's a designated historical area.)

Did you go attend any of the comprehensive planning meetings last year, or look at the plan?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 am 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Granger wrote:

Did you go attend any of the comprehensive planning meetings last year, or look at the plan?