GREENDALE FORUM by GreendaleLife.com

Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tam's Chop Suey
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:11 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

How does Tam's Chop Suey (68th & Layton) stay open? There are usually no cars in the parking lot - sometimes one or two during dinner. I've never been there, anyone else? Just one of those things that make you go hmmmm.... :?

Post subject: Re: Tam's Chop Suey
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:16 pm 
Active User
Active User

Was there once quite a few years ago, now.

Was edible, but not great.

How do they stay open?

Any theories, Growler?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:03 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Smith wrote:
Was there once quite a few years ago, now.

Was edible, but not great.

How do they stay open?

Any theories, Growler?

Interesting. I really enjoy Chinese food, I'd be really wary of going to Tam's. Theories? Well any place -- any restaurant that stays open for years without any business... there's gotta something sinister going on, no? :glasses5:

No advertising, no attention to the building (except to keep the sign on), no customers... The food there can't be too good if theirs no turnover of stock, right? On the other hand, maybe they sell a ton of food to the one or two customers that show up. :error: Of course then there's that bar across the street... Kinda slow there too... An intersection waiting to be developed!? :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:29 pm 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Come on, Growler and Smith... isn't the answer obvious as to how they stay open?

Are you ready for this?

Really?

It's an ancient Chinese secret. :laughing5: :laughing6: :laughing7: :laughing8: :laughing9:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, I use to have a coworker who loved that place and ate there a couple times a week. Although, maybe that somehow explained why she stayed so thin.

But maybe they have a lot of carryout.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am 
Active User
Active User

Well it may not be a Greendale establishment (it's not) but since we're talking about it so much I think I'll go have lunch there one day this coming weekend. Some Chinese food for the Packers- whomever (hopefully the Bears) NFC championship game... That does sound good. Who remembers when it was Schad's? (Was it spelled that way?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:09 am 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Ron 80 wrote:
You guys got me going -- maybe it is some sort of secret because I've been by the place at dinner time 3 nights in a row and there's been only one car in the lot each night, but it's the same car in the same spot: a white mini van.

I drove past it at 5 p.m. yesterday and aside from the white minivan there were... FIVE cars in the parking lot. I was shocked! :shock:

Post subject: Re: Tam's Chop Suey!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 am 

Finally got to Tam's and got a couple dishes to go. After reading the earlier posts and seeing the empty parking lot myself, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was hooked on the first bite. Now I'm sorry I waited so long to try them out!

Tam's features a huge selection of dishes which range from economy lunch and super special plates ($5.45-$6.55) plus a variety of combination plates in the $7 range that include the entree, fried rice and egg roll. They have the usual list of appetizers, soups, egg foo young, subgum, chop suey, stir fried vegetables and fried rice, plus a fish fry and chicken wings in a hot braised sauce.

If that wasn't enough, there are Cantonese dinners in the $9 - $11 range (most are under $10) including chicken, duck, beef, shrimp and tofu.

I ordered from the Cantonese menu, choosing the Butterfly Shrimp ($10.95) and Beef with Mushroom ($9.45), plus an order of Crab Rangoon ($3.95 for 6 pcs).

The shrimp dish was truly amazing and something I haven't seen on area menus. The generous portion of shrimp was wrapped in bacon, dipped in egg and served on a bed of sauteed sweet onions and served with a sweet sour sauce. I didn't bother with the rice and just ate the shrimp and bacon on it's own, with a generous helping of onions and sauce. The sauce was homemade and just perfect for the dish. A couple orders of the Butterfly Shrimp would go over great at a party, just make sure you include plates, forks and napkins.

The Beef with Mushroom was another hit featuring nice chunks of beef tenderloin and sliced mushrooms in a savory black sauce. It was truly superb.

The Crab Rangoon on the other hand was disappointing. The wonton triangles were small and thin, with just a tiny amount of cream cheese and crab.

Tam's has been run by the current owners for 9 years. The very pleasant Lee operates the front of house and her husband does the cooking. Lee told me they do a lot of carryout business, especially to some of the local businesses. She said the parking lot seems empty because the carry out customers come and go so quickly. Tam's does offer delivery but when I first put my order in, Lee wasn't sure how to get to my house (which is very close), so I just went and picked up. So unless you're next door, I wouldn't count on delivery.

They have a website tamschopsuey.com and some good reviews including a very long and dedicated blog post.

So, two paws up for Tam's and I'll be heading back as soon as I finish all the leftovers! :thumbright:

Post subject: Remy: You Missed Your Calling
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Your review of Tam's is a tasty, well done morsel and sure is an eye opener .

Post subject: Re: Remy: You Missed Your Calling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Spud- a common tater wrote:
Your review of Tam's is a tasty, well done morsel and sure is an eye opener .

Well said, I will be going on Friday. :tongue8:

Post subject: Re: Tam's Chop Suey!!!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:47 pm 

Remy wrote:
The Crab Rangoon on the other hand was disappointing. The wonton triangles were small and thin, with just a tiny amount of cream cheese and crab.

Update. Order the cream cheese wontons instead of crab rangoon. No "crab" but you get nice pillowy puffs filled with cream cheese and a cup of the house made sweet sour sauce. And they're $1 less expensive than the crab rangoon.

For vegetarians, the fried tofu dinner is excellent.