Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Are we taxed enough?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 pm 
Active User
Active User

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/44533322.html

The more you create a poor business climate in Wisconsin the more companies will leave.
This leads to less jobs.
This leads to less income in the form of taxes for the state.
Cant wait to hear Doyle comment on this.

Post subject: Re: Are we taxed enough?
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:05 am 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Parentof3 wrote:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/44533322.html

The more you create a poor business climate in Wisconsin the more companies will leave.
This leads to less jobs.
This leads to less income in the form of taxes for the state.
Cant wait to hear Doyle comment on this.

Frankly, Americans not being proud enough to buy American-made products, such as cars, has led to the "poor business climate" in areas like Janesville and Kenosha, but ignorant conservatives fail to understand that.

And in case you haven't noticed, the WHOLE country is in a recession. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:54 pm 
Active User
Active User

In these down times, we are all hit hard. Conservative or liberal.
The root of the problem is banking.
The owners, stock holders, wanted to make money. If you dont have bank stocks in your investment portfolio I would be surprised.
The problem is what it is. Too much lending to people based on liberal ideology that everyone should own a home. Not everyone should...
All of that is past.
Doyle has the opportunity to create a fantastic business climate in our State and he chooses not to do it. For the state to have revenue it MUST have business. It drives everything. Without business there are no jobs and without jobs there is no tax revenue. Even the public sector can not support itself without industry.
Down times create huge opportunity. We are getting more and more potential work. Its the great business people that will come out of this ahead. The hardest workers will grow. The brightest minds will shine.
Doyle must create that environment. Cut some of the state fat.... Just about every business has had to do it lately. Why don't they.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 am 
Active User
Active User

It's greed, not liberalism, that's the problem.

Gone are the days when a CEO considered the impact on a community, or the impact on the well-being of his employees as part of his business decisions. Hard to understand how someone thinks he can extract all the value out of a community or business sector, and put it in his bank account, and still have a place to live. It's the Wal-Mart model, which is death to small businesses, and small towns across the country.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:17 pm 
Active User
Active User

I dont think its every CEO.
There are good leaders and bad leaders just like there are good employees and bad employees.
The idea that we are all entitled to the same things is wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 am 
Active User
Active User

The "conservative" capitalist model of business, in which only $$$ profits matter, is what's broken. It leads to short-term thinking, and fails to properly value and consider the non-cash-flow assets that are created when a business succeeds in a community. Stable neighborhoods, with residents who earn enough money to maintain houses and patronize locally owned/operated businesses are not direct assets on a company's books, but they are the bedrock upon which the business is built: without the community, a business has nowhere to draw employees from, and nowhere to sell its products.

I often listen to old-time radio on WHAD on a Sunday night. The sponsors of lots of the drama programs from the 40's and 50's were the captains of industry: General Electric, US Steel, etc., and their commercials highlight the company's support of these programs because they add value to the community. There was one US Steel ad that was particularly striking: The whole ad was a list of multi-generational families employed at US Steel, and how proud the company was that it provided a good living for several generations of these families.

I have never in recent memory heard any large American corporation make a similar statement. Not in the last 20 years, at any rate.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 pm 
Active User
Active User

There are examples of corporate sponsership everywhere.
There are nonprofits that survive on corporate sponsership.
Look at the signs at the ball diamonds. Look at Hope house or Ronald Mcdonald House.
At the next event in the Village look at the signs.

I dont understand the hatred of what gives us our lives....
Hard work should be rewarded. People that take a chance at business and succeed should not be demonized they should be praised.
If you have problems with an Individual Corp Director buy a share of stock and go to a meeting. I went to the last M & I shareholders meeting. It was crazy but since there have been changes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:28 pm 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Parentof3 wrote:
There are examples of corporate sponsership everywhere.
There are nonprofits that survive on corporate sponsership.
Look at the signs at the ball diamonds. Look at Hope house or Ronald Mcdonald House.

Hmmmm, I'm at the Ronald McDonald House a lot over the holidays, and while there is corporate sponsorship is it not all corporate sponsorship. There are a lot of individual donors listed there as well. And, I believe when the original house was built a lot of the trade unions donated their time.

Parentof3 wrote:
At the next event in the Village look at the signs.

Let's not confuse a small line in a brochure, or mention from the MC, with a large sign or banner. One is sponsorship, the other is advertising. Sponsorship with a large sign or banner is like putting lipstick on a :snorting:.

Parentof3 wrote:
I dont understand the hatred of what gives us our lives....

I don't understand how ignorant some can be towards the concept that workers need a living wage in order to live... :roll:

Parentof3 wrote:
Hard work should be rewarded.

Yes it should. Tell that to a farmer - hardest working people you'll ever know, and business people who take a chance (not only crop prices, but weather), yet screwed over by corporate executives.

Parentof3 wrote:
People that take a chance at business and succeed should not be demonized they should be praised.

Ah, now your true colors are really showing. Praise the business owner, so give the shaft to the worker?

Parentof3 wrote:
If you have problems with an Individual Corp Director buy a share of stock and go to a meeting. I went to the last M & I shareholders meeting. It was crazy but since there have been changes.

You were there too?!?!?!?! Wow, we have something in common (along with a former county supervisor from Greendale whose name I won't mention). It wasn't crazy, but it was fun seeing those over-paid execs get grilled for an hour. I'm sorry, but I don't see a whole lot of changes happening so far... the executive compensation wasn't cut. And like issuing more stock will help. Dividend is still a penny a share.

And, um, hate to tell you this, but neither of the guys at the podiums was named Marshall or Ilsley (the original risk takers). No risk takers there with Kuester and Furlong. Did you actually speak at the meeting (as I did), or just snicker at all the concerned shareholders airing their complaints?

I found it funny how they mentioned how much they give to charity, yet they cut 800 employees. Guess it lets them sleep at night. :roll: