GREENDALE FORUM by GreendaleLife.com

Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: NO PREDICTIONS?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:00 am 
Active User
Active User

We've been over this one a few times already, Smith. Taxes ARE fees for services. Even if every road in the state were a toll road, there would still end up being one, or a few, over-arching organizations collecting the tolls and sharing out the collected fees. The economies of larger-scale vs. smaller-scale toll collection would go that way, especially if Wisconsin went to Open Road Tolling like they have on most of the US Turnpikes in Illinois, Ohio, and other East Central and East Coast states. Some of our family drive that way for work, and they have one electronic device in the vehicle that takes you through all the states, and draws tolls/taxes/funds from a single toll account.

Centralized doesn't necessarily mean evil, nor wasteful. All that glorious infrastructure that makes driving cars more convenient has to be paid for.

You see, that's what grown-ups do, Smith: they pay TAXES in order to pay their way for the services that make their community a pleasant place to live, even if they don't always directly use every single service their community pays for with their tax dollars. For example, I don't mind paying taxes to support pre-school immunizations, library, and Village Days, even though I seldom use any of these services, because I know they contribute to the quality of life of the village as a whole. Other services that I consume in a higher quantity make up for this: like walking thru the greenspace past the Middle School every day, or having kids enrolled at the High School.

Why don't you take a look at what you're GETTING from living where you do, instead of focusing on what you're SPENDING. I get really tired of the whiny-a$$ed crybabies who keep throwing tantrums about How Unfair It All Is :roll:

To quote some of the signs said on the Mall in Washington a couple of weeks ago:

If you want no government,
    Move to Somalia.
or
    I pay taxes.
    War isn't free.
or
    I have no problem
    paying taxes
    because roads
    don't pave themselves
or
    You're an American:
    Act Like One

The rallying cry of the Revolutionary War was: No Taxation Without Representation. You've got the Representation, so Pay the Tax. Or run for office and change things :)

Post subject: With apologies to Will Rogers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:41 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

On the downside, the government bureaucracy is wasteful and inefficient, but on the plus side: when I go to bed, I get down on my hands and knees and thank God I am not getting all the government I am paying for.

Post subject: Re: With apologies to Will Rogers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 am 
Active User
Active User

Spud- a common tater wrote:
On the downside, the government bureaucracy is wasteful and inefficient, but on the plus side: when I go to bed, I get down on my hands and knees and thank God I am not getting all the government I am paying for.

AMEN!

Post subject: Re: NO PREDICTIONS?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:46 am 
Active User
Active User

firefly wrote:
We've been over this one a few times already, Smith. Taxes ARE fees for services.

Maybe I didn't reply clearly enough for you before. Taxes are payments, as are FEES, yes, in that it is money out of my pocket. But if I don't use the (what you call) service and I am forced to pay the tax for it, anyway, then, no, it is not a fee for service. Let's use this ice rink that's now in the Village Center for an example. I believe that I heard that it is not being funded with fees...or um, uh, er...tax dollars but with donations. These donations would be money given voluntarily by people for the purpose of providing an ice rink for use by anybody. If you donate to it and you use it you could reasonably say that this is a fee for service. If taxes were to be extracted against somebody's will to pay for the ice rink AND they didn't use it then it would NOT be fee-for-service. Really, Firefly, I don't know how to make it more clear than the above. If you don't use it, you got no service. If money is taken from one by force, by government, and one gets no service for it, it is not fee-for-service.

firefly wrote:

Centralized doesn't necessarily mean evil, nor wasteful. All that glorious infrastructure that makes driving cars more convenient has to be paid for.

And it is paid for by taxes. I drive, I buy gas, gas is taxed, that money is supposed to be used for roads. And it is used for roads, except for the part that is stolen to fund other things. I own a vehicle, I pay a registration (what they call) fee, that fee goes to fund roads, except the portion that is stolen for other things. See, I pay the tax (the FEE) and I use the roads (I get the service) FEE FOR SERVICE in effect.

firefly wrote:
Why don't you take a look at what you're GETTING from living where you do, instead of focusing on what you're SPENDING. I get really tired of the whiny-a$$ed crybabies who keep throwing tantrums about How Unfair It All Is :roll:

Why Firefly, I AM focussing on what I am getting. It's less than I pay for. This is why I am saying that it's not the fairest way to go about doing things. I believe Fee-for-service is. Would you be okay of some of that tax money went to pay for schooling other people's children at say, Christian schools? And I refer, now, to property taxes.

To quote some of the signs said on the Mall in Washington a couple of weeks ago:

firefly wrote:
    If you want no government,
    Move to Somalia.

Oh here we go with the leftist strawman bit again...ok...
Who's arguing for no goverment?

or
    I pay taxes.
    War isn't free.
Wow, that's for sure. War is really expensive especially when it's contracted out. Or is that called outsourced?

or
    I have no problem
    paying taxes
    because roads
    don't pave themselves
Well this almost is sensible. Just need to add "that fund road construction and maintenance" after the word "taxes."

or
    You're an American:
    Act Like One
I am acting like one.

firefly wrote:
The rallying cry of the Revolutionary War was: No Taxation Without Representation. You've got the Representation, so Pay the Tax.

Actually taxation with the representation we've got isn't so great either. I love my country and my State and my Village and my neighbors and want it all to be better- always improving if possible- so I am offering my opinion. That's all.

firefly wrote:
Or run for office and change things.

:lol: Would you vote for me? :lol: