GREENDALE FORUM by GreendaleLife.com

Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greendale Veterans Memorial?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

When selecting a location for the proposed Greendale Veterans Memorial, a designated committee looked for three characteristics — the memorial would have to be highly visible, have room for parking and have potential for being an easily accessible tourist destination.

After multiple considerations, the Greendale Veterans Memorial Committee chose the intersection of Broad Street and Southway as the ideal setting to honor local veterans.

The property, which sits across from Greendale High School's newly renovated baseball field, belongs to the school district, however.

Although the Greendale School District has not yet made any formal action regarding the memorial, the committee has begun fundraising for the project, said Bill Kewan, a civilian member of the committee.

"The school district owns the land, and we're still in negotiations," Kewan said. "… It's not just military members that want this memorial. Whatever your status, this is the type of memorial Greendale wants and needs."

http://www.greendalenow.com/news/greendale-veterans-memorial-committee-begins-fundraising-efforts-b99282649z1-261681181.html

Post subject: Re: Greendale Veterans Memorial?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Broad Minded wrote:
When selecting a location for the proposed Greendale Veterans Memorial, a designated committee looked for three characteristics — the memorial would have to be highly visible, have room for parking and have potential for being an easily accessible tourist destination.

"The school district owns the land, and we're still in negotiations," Kewan said. "… It's not just military members that want this memorial. Whatever your status, this is the type of memorial Greendale wants and needs."

I've looked at the website and video and have gotten two fundraising mailers, however I don't think this will work. They talk about room for parking yet there is no parking available on that corner so cars will end up on residential streets or in the Greendale Community Church lot which I'm sure they don't want.

The mailers say the memorial will "cover approximately 5%" of the green space, however its situated right in the middle, rendering the rest of the space unusable for any other purpose.

With all due respect to the American Legion and Greendale's military veterans, I don't like the design of the memorial - it honestly looks like some sort of game show set. The only way to display a veteran's name is by purchasing a brick. Will the computer kiosk display all veteran's names or only those who've purchased a brick? Ultimately, that information could be online, so what's the point of the memorial or the personalized bricks? I also don't see this being a huge draw for the Village.

Finally this is taxpayer property and villagers use this as a place to sit and watch fireworks twice a year. What will the site be like for future fireworks fans? Will the American Legion pay the Village for the use of the space? It's been said that the school board will be responsible for grounds maintenance - which would be more complex with the memorial there than just an open green space. Costs would be higher to maintain the site which would be passed on to the Village taxpayers.

I think this could be dialed down to a single monument and placed somewhere more appropriate. There is already a military monument at Ray & Dot's where the American Legion Post 416 is located. Why not do something there?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:19 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

My family and I have been watching fireworks from that site ever since it has not been allowed from the football bleachers, 20+ years. We would appreciate not having to deal with mosquitos. More importantly, we need to honor those who gave their all in order that we may enjoy our blessed freedom. Boys I went to Greendale High School with died for me; for all of us. There is no reason cars couldn't park across Southway in the lot between ballfields. Gosh, even busses could park there. Being born and raised in Greendale I have learned to respect that which we have and show our thankfulness accordingly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:24 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

The memorial committee's request to use the Southway/Broad Street site was voted down by the School Board, end of story. But, no, they have decided to push the issue by planting flags on that corner. Personally, I think this reflects poorly on the committee members.

With all due respect, they should pack up the flags and find a new site.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:50 am 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Much to your apparent dismay, it has been members of the Village who have put flags and memorials on that corner, not members of the VFW. I am sorry if this offends you but each of us has the right to display the flag, wherever we choose. I know you don't like it, but many do, and for us it is our way of saying thank you to those who serve our country. Maybe you should 'pack up' your anger and find a way to speak in a constructive manner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

How ironic that the memorial committee doesn't care about proper flag display rules.

From the US Department of Veterans Affairs:

Traditional guidelines call for displaying the flag in public only from sunrise to sunset. However, the flag may be displayed at all times if it’s illuminated during darkness. The flag should not be subject to weather damage, so it should not be displayed during rain, snow and wind storms unless it is an all-weather flag. These dime-store flags (probably made in China) are not properly illuminated, nor taken down during rain, snow or wind storms, all of which we've have experienced recently.

Other Things Not to Do with the Flag
Out of respect for the U.S. flag, never:
use the flag for advertising or promotion purposes...or anything else intended for temporary use and discard. The flags placed on Southway and Broad St. are promoting and advertising the use of that corner for a veterans memorial, and the flags will most likely be discarded once the failure of the campaign is acknowledged by the vmc.

These facts show that the veterans memorial committee is solely focused on intimidating the School Board and Village residents into allowing their memorial to be constructed on this site. It's all about the site, not about the memorial.

Once again: Greendale Veterans Memorial Committe - pack up your flags and find a new location, more appropriate for your memorial.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 pm 

Hey Broad Minded, now that NB Joe left, did you have to step up and be the bearer of bad news?

Heres the thing: Those are guidelines but not rules/laws. Luckily we live in the United States of America and we have the First Amendment. Do we need to revisit what the 1st stands for? Oh yeah, Freedom of Speech. And guess what, placing Flags on the corner of Broad and Southway falls under that.

Maybe you can pull that stick out of your you-know-what and place a flag on it and stick in in the grass with the rest of them.

Your friend from the South

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:30 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

GDgrad02 wrote:
Hey Broad Minded, now that NB Joe left, did you have to step up and be the bearer of bad news?

h

Could it possibly be, the lovable curmudgeonly NBJoe gone? I did not know this. Please tell me more.

I am with Broad Minded about the location. How about the flag pole by the Popp building? That way the visitors who come in on the geezer busses could walk to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 pm 
Very Active User
Very Active User

Spud- a common tater wrote:
Could it possibly be, the lovable curmudgeonly NBJoe gone? I did not know this. Please tell me more.

I am with Broad Minded about the location. How about the flag pole by the Popp building? That way the visitors who come in on the geezer busses could walk to it.

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Personally, you think the Vets would find a worthy project to help. The flag pole would certainly be an honorable one, although I doubt those who come on the geezer buses would walk to it. Or perhaps dressing up the memorial on the front of Village Hall - highly visible. Then, of course, there is always restoring the old VA buildings in Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

I dont really care where the location is. The Flag Pole by Popp is an ideal location, however that is also School District property and is used during the school year for Middle School Gym.

My argument was just let the people put their flags up as a protest to not having a location approved. I feel the school board could have been proactive in suggesting other locations.