GREENDALE FORUM by GreendaleLife.com

Our Garden Community's Cyber Town Square
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: One-bedroom original apartments?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 pm 

Hi all,

I noticed the other day that, in some of the duplexes in the village, there's a third door and a third address in-between the two garage doors (for example, 5579 Azalea), as well as in-between both sets of garage doors in some of the four-unit buildings (e.g. 5602 and 5608 Bramble). I was able to find out that this door apparently goes to a stairway that leads to a second-floor-only, single-bedroom unit over the garages. Does anyone know if that's right? Does anyone have any photos, floor plans, etc. of these units, any info on them, or know how many there are? Also, where on earth do the folks living in these units park their cars? I feel like I've lived in Greendale for a pretty long time (though not in an original) and I've never noticed these before!

Thanks a ton.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: One-bedroom original apartments?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 pm 
Semi-Active User
Semi-Active User

Those units are called Bachelor Apartments. When the originals were built, people really didn't own cars like people do now - not everyone had one. I would imagine that some of those bachelor apartments have been taken over by the units on either side. Anyone else know?

There was a logical progression of living spaces - single male gets the bachelor apartment, then he gets married and moves to a Honeymooner, then he has kids and moves to a row house or single family.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 pm 

growler wrote:
Those units are called Bachelor Apartments. When the originals were built, people really didn't own cars like people do now - not everyone had one. I would imagine that some of those bachelor apartments have been taken over by the units on either side. Anyone else know?

There was a logical progression of living spaces - single male gets the bachelor apartment, then he gets married and moves to a Honeymooner, then he has kids and moves to a row house or single family.

Hi growler,

Thanks a ton. Do you, or anyone else, happen to know where I could see some photos, floor plans, etc. of these units? I'd love to see the interior of one of them.

Also, am I correct in assuming that these are pretty small units -- maybe a little living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm 

I believe they were also called Honeymoon Flats or something like that. When my parents first moved to Greendale they lived in one on Butternut Court. But then when my brother was born in July of 1941 they could not stay there and had to move. Luckily, they were able to stay in Greendale when they got a place on Dendron Lane and moved there in December of that year. December, 1941 was quite a month for them and for the whole country.
I was born at the other end of the war in August of 1945. If I had been a girl they would have had to move again, as they lived in a two bedroom house and a boy and a girl couldn't share a bedroom. Number three was also a boy so all was well. Then the government got out of the Greendale Landlord business. My parents stayed on in that house in the Village that they loved until their deaths in the 1990's.

(Hmmm, I seem to have wander a bit off topic but such is life. Thanks for listening.)

Profile E-mail